Malta has introduced a New Start-up Residence Programme
At the 2-day “Start-In-Malta Festival” in October 2022, Malta Residence Agency announced a new residence programme: the Malta Start-Up Residence Programme.
- This new visa will allow non-European nationals to relocate and live in Malta, by establishing an innovative start-up.
The programme allows founders/co-founders to apply for a 3-year residency permit, together with their immediate family, and the company to apply for 4 additional permits for Key Employees.
The Hon. Miriam Dalli (Minister for the Environment, Energy and Enterprise) stated “we want to be at the forefront of cutting edge technology innovation, research & development“.
Highlights of the new Start-Up Residence Visa
- Fast and efficient application process
- Founders/Co Founders receive a 3-year permit that can be potentially renewed for another 5 years (it is possible to include immediate family members in the application)
- Founders/Co Founders may apply for permanent residency after residing in Malta for 5 years
- The Start-up company can also apply for residence permits for up to 4 Key employees (of which they will need to satisfy the requirements of the KEI)
- Key Employees receive a 3-year residence permit that can be renewed for another 3 years (it is possible to include immediate family members in the application)
- Key Employees may apply for long term residency after completing 5 years in Malta
- The Start-up Business Plan must be approved by Malta Enterprise
- Malta Enterprise will periodically review the start-up activities
- It is still possible to apply for all Malta Enterprise Support Measures, however the residence permit will only be approved once the funding is approved (if no funding is required, the Residence application process may be swift):
- It is expected that the successful applicants will reside in Malta and make Malta their permanent residence and therefore there is a minimum stay requirement of 183 days per year
For further information on the new Start-up Visa, please do not hesitate to contact Henno Kotze: email@example.com at the Dixcart office, in Malta or your usual Dixcart contact.
Dixcart Management Malta Limited Licence Number: AKM-DIXC-23